Transformation
Are you the same person
as when you were three
as when you were eighteen
as when you were thirty
as you are now at seventy seven?
I’d have to say no, although, there
certainly is some continuity.
I meditated, a lot, for years
so that changed my mind organically.
I was kinda nice, kinda an asshole,
drunk a lot, which I’m not anymore,
intense always when I was a plumber,
kinda interesting, kinda not…
now…
the furnace of habitual mind is ashes,
aside from the occasional ember…
trying to love even those I have
every reason to hate.
You try.
It’s certain that hating only harms oneself,
so, there’s that.
To not be hating feels better too…just saying.
Ahem.
One could always
one does always start over
even if it’s just another day
another paragraph
another breath…
period.
Now what?
You guessed it.
Yes, I’m simple minded,
which is hard to accomplish
yet, to your surprise, easy to do.
Buddha said
meditate for ten years.
If you can’t meditate for ten years
meditate for one year.
If you can’t meditate for one year
meditate for one month.
If you can’t meditate for one month
meditate for one week.
If you can’t meditate for one week
meditate for one day.
If you can’t meditate for one day
meditate for one hour.
If you can’t meditate for one hour
meditate for one minute.
If you can’t meditate for one minute
meditate for one second.
Why do you think he said that?
“In a minute there is time for decisions
and revisions that a minute will reverse.”
T. S. Eliot
Just sayin’.
Human beings can change
in ways no other animal can.
It takes discipline; willful
intent and purpose in a certain
direction over a long period of time.
(Or, like Bruce Jenner, you just
cut off your dick and call it a day.
Sorry.)
So, yes, the lightbulb really has to
want to change.
I was never comfortable…I grew up
in an environment of crazy/alcoholic
discomfort, although, both my parents
were smart and somewhat interesting.
I must have decided to not go crazy.
Yada, yada, yada, fifty years later and
Bob’s been my uncle for a while now
precarious as old age may be a sharp
edge of time and future infinity.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home