Thursday, November 27, 2014

My Grand Pa (for Daniel)

My grandfather worked at the La Salle Hotel 
in Chicago, one of the great hotels in the world
of it’s era. He was a barber, a skilled professional.
He was an alcoholic, and my dad would give him
a couple of bucks each day to have a couple of 
beers.  Well, I realized he must have been a great 
story teller, because he usually came home pretty
drunk. I’m sure the locals bought him beer to keep 
him talking. This makes sense, because a barber 
at a fine hotel like the one where he worked would
have had to, of necessity, been good with the gab…
it’s sort of a barber cliche….you don’t want a jittery
customer in the chair when you’re shaving him with
a straight razor. We never talked much when I was
a  kid. He told a few bad jokes over and over. But
I might have gotten the stray story telling gene from
him. I certainly got the drunk one.  One afternoon,
he came home blasted..(remember, he was in his
eighties)… It was hard as hell to pry that drunken
bastard into his room…I was, maybe fourteen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home