Wednesday, November 12, 2014





Plumbing in Colorado

I was a plumber for thirty years, in Boston,
Columbia, South Carolina, Portland Oregon, 
and Colorado.  I put plumbing in meditation 
centers in Vermont, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, 
and Colorado.  This story is about one project
in Colorado. I was involved with the Buddhist
organization, Vajradhatu, for many years. For
many of those years, the organization would
put on a three month meditation program,
called Vajradhatu Seminary The program 
was held at a variety of ski resorts and hotels 
in the USA and Canada. In 1985, the head of
the organization, Chogyam Trungpa, Tibetan
meditation master, decided he wanted to have 
the program on land the organization owned.
The place where he wanted it to happen, known
at the time as Rocky Mountain Dharma Center,
in Red Feather Lakes , Colorado. At that time,
the facilities of the center consisted of a four 
seater out house, a small shower room, and 
a kitchen with a small stove and one sink.
For the program, we had to build two shower
buildings, a toilet building, and a commercial
kitchen…we had ten weeks. All of Trungpa’s 
advisors begged him to not attempt the project.
He went around them to the director of Rocky
Mountain Dharma Center and told the director, 
Nick, to start the work. I was in the grapevine,
so, I knew the project was happening. I had just
obtained my Master Plumber’s license at that,
so, I called Nick and volunteered to take on the
plumbing. I thought about it for a while one 
afternoon at my house in Boulder. At the 
moment I made the decision to take on the job, 
in front of me, in the sky, I visioned the Buddhas,
bodhisattvas, dakinis and dharma protectors
on clouds, giving me a round of applause.

It was slow going at first. I roped the only other
Buddhist plumber in Boulder, Tom, into taking
on the job with me. He was by far the better 
plumber. I slogged along by myself for a while
until Tom could join me in Red Feather. The day
he arrived, we celebrated madly by driving,
totally drunk, down the Poudre Canyon, me
pissing out the open truck door as we weaved
down the canyon. We worked ten hour days for
ten weeks, only taking three days off. We drank
sake ever night.  No major obstacles happened,
except for one. The Buddhist contractor who was
doing the carpentry wasn’t keeping up…if I didn’t
light a fire under him, we’d never finish in time. He
was a darling of the community…I certainly wasn’t.
I laid into him at a coordinating meeting one time,
and that did the trick. After that, he never hired
us when Tom and I started our own business later
in Boulder.

We finished the work the night before the inspector
came to sign off on our work….I think we finished
about  two in the morning. Tom and I had theme
music for the project…Ry Cooter’s “Chicken Skin 
Music”  I remember sitting in my truck the afternoon
after we had passed, drunk,  listening to “The
Bourgeois  Blues”  and crying. The next day four
hundred and fifty people arrived for the program.


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home