Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Rain's Coming In

I can see it on the radar on
the computer coming west 
from Veracruz… time enough 
to go out, get a sandwich 
and come back.

I was talking to my friend, L., outside the 
coffee shop this morning, smoking cigarettes. 
L. is a Scot, been around  the world, busted in 
France for selling dope, spent 3 years in  prison 
there, two more in California for making fake 
I.D.s. He said, aside from County, after about 
three months in prison (at least where he was), 
it was just normal life. The punishment was, in 
fact, over. In France, he said, the only thing 
that got talked  away was your liberty. Prisoners 
were treated like human beings. He had a list, 
once a week, where he would check off items he 
wanted, like, tobacco, cheese, cold cuts….
and each person got  a six pack of beer each 
week. I asked him what it was like when
he would be released after he had served his 
sentence. He said  for the first few weeks, it 
was shocking, like Christmas, and delightful
and exciting. Then it became just normal.

I have four rooms, a small 
enclosed yard, a refrigerator 
and a stove. The rain isn’t here
yet…I think I’ll walk outside
and have a cigarette before
the rain comes, then, go inside
and enjoy the thunder…clean
sheets and rain like music.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home