Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Third `Man

I was walking down a side street in Dansk
with a friend. The morning was crisp, 
cold and clear. We had just concluded a 
conversation about metaphysics, and were
just walking. Sound became prominent as
we walked in silence, wrapped in our own
contemplations. We stopped at a corner where
there was a slight panorama of the city, There
were few other people on the street at that time.

An old, ragged man, pushing a cart down the
sidewalk came closer. In the cart was what looked
like junk. The three of us were slowly walking 
towards each oher.  We naturally stopped when
we were upon each other. There was a pause,
I remember.

“Good day, Sirs.” the old man says.

“Good day to you,” says my friend,
do you have anything to sell?”

“No, Sirs, nothing I reckon you’d be interested in…
but, I have some free advice. It’s free because I
can only give it away. You gentlemen look like
thoughtful sorts…..maybe you could use it.”

My friend and and I gave each other a wink.
“Yes, esteemed Sir, we would be honored to 
hear what you have to tell us.”

“Very well,” said the old man as he scratched
under his arm.

“You think you’re fine gentlemen because you
wear fine clothes, eat at restaurants, sleep in
silk….you think your life is much different than 
mine, when, really, it is exactly the same, and,
perhaps a wretch like me can see that even more
clearly than yourselves. That should give you pause.
Every description of reality you come up with is
like a balloon that a child has lost the grip of,
and vanishes into the sky.”

He said nothing else…passed by us then, as if
we didn’t exist.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home