Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Portrait Of The Artist As An Old Man

Cornelius Licht, an old friend,
German, but his English is good,
lanky, thin, intense, weathered,
accomplished painter, like me
in Mexico a long time. He has
a girlfriend who’s crazy, (sound
familiar?), she reminds me of my
family. Men are stupid and women 
are crazy. She got him kicked out
of the place where he lived…I saw
him the other day. He looked like
usual, his intensity was the same.
He needed some money, I wanted
to help him but couldn’t right away.
I looked for him today, but he didn’t 
show up…he will when he’s desperate 
enough. Do good people suffer more
disproportionately? Everyman is subject
to the consequences of his deeds, his
karma if you like…there’s no profit in
complaining, howling at the moon.
Binary, duality, good and evil for
example…reality might as well could 
be a simulation, the fork in the road
put there by some cosmic being playing
its cosmic game…you could imagine 
the Homosap scurrying about on the
Big Board, entertainment for that
enormous entity until it’s time for bed.
There’s only so much we can know,
and, as quickly, we begin to forget
until who we are becomes irrelevant.
On our deathbed we say: “What was 
that?” The flowers at the funeral are
the punchline of the joke.
Still, I’d like to see him, help him if
I could…we’re all in this together,
those we love, those we hate, it doesn’t 
matter. All beings have been our mothers,
the Buddhists say, in endless eternity
recycled infinitely. That’s not a bad thing,
by the way, to believe, if belief is your thing.
Love is all you need is not a cliche.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home