Thursday, June 14, 2018

Colors

I recently, within the last few years, have
turned old. I like to put it that way; “turned
old”, because it reminds me of milk that’s
turned or day old bread, a natural organic
process….nothing to be ashamed about.

I knew I was turning because getting drunk
was no longer fun. I didn’t mind the bumps
and bruises that would appear in mornings
that I didn’t remember where they came from.
While I was still drinking, I still thought I was
invincible. Only the increased awareness that
comes with sobriety led me to understand 
that I was in the “old” ballpark. It was a new 
chapter in my life: the “old” chapter, the last 
one. Since I’m a young old person, I’m still 
exploring the territory.

I’m sure getting old will get old after a while.
I’m still exploring the advantages: having a 
good excuse for clumsiness, not remembering
names, speaking inappropriately, (although,
I always kinda did that) etcetera.

But, I’m determined to not go quietly. I wear 
bright colors; rainbow socks for example, 
beads and rings, partly so vehicles can see 
me, partly for effect. I wear patchouli and 
sandalwood since only dogs like the smell
of an old person because they are starting to
smell like food. Also, the colors are a warning
the way blue ringed octopi and tropical toads
warn other animals. Talk to me and I might 
blow your mind, or, even make you laugh…
at least, piss you off. 

Old Buddhists have a  job to do. We must be 
available, like  breadsticks, in case someone 
has a hankering to talk to one. You don’t 
always want to eat breadsticks, but they’re 
nice to have around. We Buddhists are always 
open to serendipity and auspicious coincidence.
At least, that’s what I’m saying now.

I’m writing a lot about old age now, as I wrote 
a lot about love and passion, when I was young.
Obsession with anything is equally delusional,
but, being young, hormones were a good excuse.
And, other young people were equally obsessed,
so, there was an audience. Young people don’t
want to hear about old age. Old people want to
deny and ignore it. So, F’em all, that’s what I got,
and I’m going with it. Better, to my mind, than 
just listening to elders list the present causes of
their near future demise. It’s quite humorous to 
me, actually, to watch bits of me fall off or fail, like
an old jalopy….Superman my ass.

“I am a verb”, as Fuller said; a process, not a 
“thing” that exists eternally, or, really, actually,
from a Buddhist perspective. Watch a time lapse
of a person from baby to oldster. We think we are
the same person throughout our lives, but, if 
we’re honest with ourselves, we see we’re not. If
we haven’t spent time in our lives to look into the
phenomenon of existence, the default perspective
is believing we exist, eternally somehow, 
particularly when our existence is threatened. In
extremis, we call on God, or any of His names, to
save us, like clinging to a rope as we’re falling.

So, aside from the inconvenience, it’s joyful to feel
old and it’s attendant accommodations after 
having sussed out life and realizing it’s like going
to a comedy club for a few laughs, and then,
having to go home.


P.S.

“I grow old…I grow old…
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Shall I part my hair behind” Do I dare to eat a  
peach?”

That’s T.S. Eliot’s lament about growing old and
feeling like a failure. The fact that he wrote those
lines means that he wasn’t. But, Prufrock, the
subject of the poem, shows what most of us are
up against. “The unexamined life is not worth 
living.” supposedly said by Socrates. Good point.
































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home