Thursday, May 31, 2018

It's Getting Old

Yeah, I’m old, and I’m writing
about getting old….
get over it.

Thing is, I see people my same age 
around me, and they’re a lot older 
than I am, not in body, no, rather
their minds are…pickled in the same
sour thoughts they gathered over a
lifetime of trial and error, until they 
don’t have a fresh thought anymore.
If you move a piece of furniture in
their house one inch, they go crazy.

They might be tenured professors,
Supreme Court Justices,
billionaires,
propped up by money and power.

Their obsolescence is neither planned
nor noticed, but is inevitable.

Some oldies still twinkle and sing;
My friend, 80, teaching at college….
uh…uh, he’s the only one I can think of,
except maybe the old Mexicans,
the drunk plumber gnome who worked
in the shop in South Carolina, the old
black man who played the spoons on
the sidewalk near my house there…
they were still alive; you could talk 
to them.

Coda:

"Oh, I. got phlebitis, and it's fucking my arthritis,
and my cataracts are watching the show...
and the tintinitis is there to spite us,
and the bowels are starting to blow."







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home