Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Shambhalatlan

“Atlan” is a suffix in Nahuatl meaning “place of”.
Shamhala is said to be a kingdom, secret and 
not so secret, existing yet hidden, in which all 
the inhabitants are enlightened. The pueblo I live in,
Tepoztlan, in Mexico, is as close as I’ve come to
such a place on earth where I have lived.

I was staying Oaxaca for a winter years ago, and 
I visited Tepoztlan where a Shambhala (Buddhist)
community had been established some years 
earlier. The first two mornings there, while I was 
eating breakfast alone in a restaurant, I found 
myself in tears. At first, I wondered why this was 
happening, until I realized it was because, for the
first time in my life, I felt I was home. 

Yada, yada, yada, I returned to the USA for a year,
then, the next year, moved to Tepoztlan to live, full
time. The process of living here for years has 
slowed me down from the intense days of my job
as a plumber. And it has been a nurturing environ-
ment for my meditation practice and my writing.

So, why do I use the term Shambhalatlan? I 
certainly wouldn’t avow that the inhabitants here
are all enlightened. On the other hand, there is a 
natural goodness, discrimination, and acceptance
of the people here that creates an atmosphere 
that pervades the place, and is, in fact, quite 
magical. An interesting phenomena that people 
have noticed here is that many people who visit 
have a strong reaction to the place, either falling in 
love with it, as what happened to me, or, finding
the energy not to their liking and having to leave;
a self selecting quality.

I heard of a prophesy about Tepoztlan. Perhaps 
thirty to forty years ago, a man asked a taxi driver,
at night, to take him to a certain place. This place
was in the middle of nowhere. The man asked the 
driver to stop, and then said to him something like:
“When the great sadness happens, Tepoztlan will
be protected.” Then, the man walked into the night,
like all these cool stories end.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home