Friday, September 11, 2015

Serving Tea


I served tea to the Sixteenth Karmapa in 1980 
for a week.  Me and this other guy, Craig Smith, 
who happened later to become important in 
South East Asia for some reason....not through 
the organization, but, I guess he was brilliant or 
something. Anyway, I was in South Carolina at 
the time, and, I got this call from someone saying 
I was invited to come to Washington D. C.for
a week and serve the king of the Kagyus. Well, 
I took a week off of work... my wife was fine with it... 
so, I drove up. Almost missed a turn and died, but 
got there. I'll tell you this now, a sidelight, but, I had 
an affair with a woman that week. I knew when she 
asked me for a ride where she was staying. She 
was close to Ripoche. As we were driving, I didn't 
turn to her but I said: "Will you sleep with me?" There
was a pause. Then she said "That's it?"  I said: 
"Yes, that's it." She said ok, so, I
drove to where I was staying.  

The week of serving His Holiness  was rather 
uneventful, yet stressful. There was a 
protocol about how to serve. Usually, the servers 
were off in the wings, attentive to His Holiness's 
needs, but out of view.  Craig seemed to have been 
invited to sit with His Holiness while he was watching 
T.V. I heard that His Holiness saw some footage
of starving children in Africa and cried openly.

Mostly, His Holiness ignored me, probably because 
I was so uptight. One night he had an audience with 
some important person, from India, I believe.. I felt I 
should "get out of the way", so, at that moment of 
serving tea, I was totally unselfconscious,
as if I was on stage, playing a part. His Holiness put 
his hand on my head, for a  few moments, saying: 
 "Very good, very good" in English. That was nice.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home