Thursday, August 7, 2014

Mexico Needs A Gardenia





Like any big city, sitting at he
Argentinian cafe, watching the
waves of people, their tales
worn in the clothes on their bodies,
each person their own ambient 
semaphore.

I can read them better now that I’m
over myself. Businessmen in nice
suits. I look at their serious faces
and all I think to say to them in my
mind is  “Whatever it is, 
it ain’t gonna work.”
People talking to themselves….“You
can’t get here from there.”

A huge woman in some kind of uniform.
She was smiling as she passed me, and
we smiled at each other…handsome men
and women, well dressed and obviously
going somewhere fun….the costumes with
the pins and steel ornaments…either black
and white, or rainbow-ed. 

Most hypnotized by purpose of one thing
or another. I saw them see me in passing,
in the split second….few reactions….too
little time, that they didn’t have time to take.

There are plenty of flowers in Mexico….the
Nahuatl’s name for Tepoztlan translated as
“Valley of the flowers.” 

But several people I did talk to…a man that
wanted to show me around in his taxi…some
beautiful old women in a huge shop, desperately
trying to sell me something… told me that the
Americans are more afraid of Mexico, and it hurts
them, economically of course..but it also hurts 
their hearts. These people need a gardenia, that
strong perfume of natural love, to remind them
of themselves….which they haven’t really lost.

Written in Hotel Geneve, Mexico City August 6, 2014





.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home