Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cafe At The End Of Time (3)



I hitchhiked from Chicago to Boston the summer of
1969. With me was a young black lady I hooked up
with shortly before I left. Near Pittsburg we were
picked up by a young man who told us he had just
returned from Vietnam. He was very animated and
gesticulating as he drove down the interstate at about
an hundred miles per hour.

“Man, ‘Nam was unbelievable…I’ll never be the
same… I drove a tank, and we’d stock up on booze,
drugs and food and get lost in the jungle for a month!
No one would fuck with us because we had a tank! I
fragged a lieutenant once…he was a greenie that
if you went into the bush with him leading was
likely to get you killed….I put LSD in his coffee
one morning in the mess hall…when it came on,
he just looked straight at me and said:  “YOU!!!”
they took him out in  a straight jacket.

There was no sense of morality there…you could
do anything and get away with it….I’ve got a gun
in the glove box, and if a cop stops us and if I think
I can get away with it, I’d shoot him…why not…”

I didn’t look in the glove box. After a while, he
stopped at a restaurant and bought us lunch. We
declined to get back on the road with him. He
treated us very sweetly.

It was that magic summer. We were totally taken
in by strangers on that trip, helped along the way.
A white boy and a black chick on an adventure?
We were a symbol of the time. Our last ride was
in a ‘55 Chevy listening to “Kansas City” by
Wilbert Harrison…iconic to say the least.


 Wilbert Harrison…now there was the name of a
Bukowski salesman if ever there was one….
Club 442, Madison, Wisconsin…it was on the
juke box there…the song was a “Kansas City Stroll”
or shuffle…the beach music of South Carolina saw its
roots there….power and sex in a slow strong beat…an
upbeat, not a blues…this is what the Beatles found.


                                      ****

My first wife and two of her friends were the only
radicals at Western Kansas State. She became a
varsity cheerleader just to stick it to the sorority
girls. One of her friends went to ‘Nam. After we
moved to South Carolina, this gentleman would
show up a few times over the years, always
unannounced, always bearing gifts and steaks.
He was a sweetheart, but from what he told us,
he never slept in the same place twice…always
driving his car around the country…endless
motels…constant motion. After a few of these
visits, we never heard from him again.

                                        ****

Where’s my country, Dude? What happened to it?
Things were going so great when I was born after
WWII…I could write about it, but what could I say
that isn’t already so obvious to anyone who cares to
look?
                                        ****

It’s been hard this life to find anyone who has a clue
as to what’s really going on. The impulse to go along
with everything people think is happening: Christmas,
Democracy, religion, society is so strong. Most people
have a string in their back that you pull and they tell
you what they’ve learned to think. You can tell which
ones they are, because it’s obvious that they’re trying
to look like someone else. No, the ones to talk to are
the ones that are a little dirty, a little scary…a little
crazy perhaps. Until you find them, just keep looking.

                                       ****

Burroughs didn’t write novels….rather, his books
were each a series of vignettes…scenes…dreams…
beautifully non-linear…more in tune with experience,
to my mind, than a series of episodes of “Leave It To
Beaver” that one would call one’s life: “ I don’t just
have memories, I have re-runs!”  Thank goodness I
stopped watching television years ago. I heard that a
Buddhist teacher did a ceremony in which he buried
a television as a symbol of evil…

                                       ****

I was meeting Joel at  “The Ten Spot”, a new jazz club
near Soho. A new coming band, “Dream Cartel”, was
scheduled. We had overcome the lump in the literary
road for now…tonight was for rowdy relaxation.  This
joint had tables, but also sofas and comfy chairs…a small
dance floor was positioned not near where the band was,
but at the opposite side of the room. At times, the whole
place was on its feet. It was an “absinthe bar”, but the
green fairy was only there in about 6% strength…I brought
my own supply. Joel was late…which was like saying
nothing. I had no reason to care, and every reason to enjoy
what was in front of me. A piano man was filling the
void with tinkles at the moment. The joint was about half
full….but it was early.  The folks were dressed in tasteful
plumage…there were a few standouts, but no one you’d
want to choke to death without further justification. It even
appeared that there might be one or two people worth
talking to….but then, I was an optimist.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home