Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cafe At The End Of Time (8.0)




They call it waiting because something’s supposed
to happen…but what if you’re just there, not doing
anything, but not waiting for anything either...what
do you call that?  “Hanging out” doesn’t seem to do
the trick, because it implies waiting and laziness….
same with other terms like: “chilling”, “cooling one’s
heels” and so forth…they all define the process of mere
being by implying it has something to do with inaction.
People that meditate have lots of terms for that state:
“one pointedness”, “clear seeing”, “cool boredom”…
lots of them…..like the Eskimos have many words for
snow.

                                           ****

“Heavy air” is when you’re in a situation where
something terrible is likely to happen and the tension
fills the space almost tangibly.  The opening scenes of
the movie “The Balcony”, by Gene Genet, show news-
reel footage of French collaborators surrounded by
liberated French people. Nothing happens in the
footage…but you could feel the emotions from the film. 

I was watching the film because my Japanese buddy,
Roland Fujiyama, took me to the movies to distract
me from the bad LSD trip I was having.  It was a double
feature…the other movie was “No Exit” by Sartre. For
some reason, these two utterly depressing and shocking
movies did the trick. I came out of the theatre a new man.
Then, we went to the burlesque theatre to watch the old
strippers.  There was a three piece band…horn, bass, and
drums…but they didn’t have much trouble keeping up
with the dancers.  Many of these women were probably
there to supplement their social security checks. But they
shook themselves in ways that were marginally
entertaining for us. After that, we just walked around
the rest of the night.  As the sun was coming up, I realized
I had to pee really badly.  I went up to a building and
started to piss….it went on and on. Rolo was jumping
up and down  “Hurry!  Hurry! Daijobu!?”:  I took all the
time in the world.  “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!”
Since the sun was coming up,  I felt like I was singing
The National Anthem…. and I was.

                                             ****

I was sitting in the bus station in Minneapolis with some
friends. We were all high on LSD.  We were blowing
bubbles from one of those little plastic containers.  After
about ten minutes, the stationmaster comes over to us and
says:  “Stop blowing bubbles. The old people don’t like it.”
Of course we stopped, but, wow…

                                              ****

I can’t remember how I did anything…how I did plumbing
for thirty years….how I taught…how I acted in plays…it’s
all vague memory…I can’t do it and don’t need any of it
anymore….it all had its purpose…to keep going, I think…
but now, all that’s over, fini, done, gone, because the deeds
have been done in their time…..in the maze of space and time,
and done again:  “In watermelon sugar the deeds were done
and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar.”

Dwight Eisenhower must have been in watermelon sugar…
in fact, he must have been watermelon sugar because of this
quotation of  something he said in a  speech:

“Things are more the way they are now than they ever
have been.”

…and that was in the USA in the Fifties when the United
States was in watermelon sugar and about to go into the
greatest period of watermelon sugar in the history of the
world in the Sixties….when the world freaked out about
the amount of watermelon sugar there was, and,  could
this really be the world?  Well,  the world couldn’t handle
the freedom…as Robert Anton Wilson said:  “Nothing
scares a person more than the thought of watermelon
sugar.” Of course I’m distorting what he said….so? 
Work with me!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home