Saturday, May 24, 2008

Diminishing Returns

"I think most American publishers' tastes are on the level of the comic strip...they don't
have time to read; they're too busy hustling....they're the first automatons trained quite simply
to spot imitations of previous imitations."  Terry Southern, circa 1958

"It is precisely in unconscious involuntary manifestations that all evil lies. You do not yet 
understand and cannot imagine all the results of this evil. But the time will come when you
do understand."  G.I Gurdjieff, 1916

"Rage, rage, against the dying of the light."   Dylan Thomas

What happened to the poets, the writers, the painters?
What happened to the people that loved them?
Belittled, shot, thrown into a ditch like Lowrey's Counsel...
poems wrapping fish like yesterday's newspaper...
the rise of the "airport novel"....

What happened to Paris, Greenwich Village,  Morocco.... 
seething gardens of human rainbow? 

The magic lantern hypnotized us all...
patterns on a screen that stripped us bare
of sweat, love and joy so all that's left is fear...
and a numbness that freezes bone.

Even the magazines are getting thinner...
starved because of inattention...

There is a fierce song in the hearts of
men and women  that will not be suppressed.
Poets die so that others may read them and live.
I drink to that....I will not be led to my slaughter
without a handshake to my executioner,
and the chance to call him "brother".

The world is going insane in sameness..
which is why it is my duty to be crazy
and loud with laughter...chaos is the
compassionate response to an order
imposed by madmen.

There is no end to this poem,
nor am I a poet...
I'm just a human that likes to sing.

























1 Comments:

At May 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM , Blogger John Tischer said...

Well...if I have to COMPETE to be one of the top
Blogs in Mexico..thanks, but I'll pass, since I have
no ambition whatsoever....nice thought, though.... J.T.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home