Saturday, October 5, 2019

Story 13-B

I’d drive from Winfield, Illinois to Geneva,
a bit to the west, in my first car, a Chevy
Corvair death trap (the engine actually fell 
out while I was driving once) to see my High
School friend, Katie whose family was high 
falutin’, but I was ok because my dad was 
a well known Chicago lawyer. Katie was in 
New York City once and guy at a corner 
grabbed  her elbow and said “I think we can 
make this  light.” It was Johnny Carson. I’d 
go there  sometimes at night to get away 
from my  family. I’d watch Johnny Carson 
on T.V. with Katie and her mom, who bore 
a striking resemblance to a Pekinese. I went 
to her house for a couple of brunches. Her 
dad was there. He sold insurance for race 
horses, and, (I don’t  know why because I 
seldom spoke to adults… maybe it was 
because he sold insurance for race horses) 
I went up to him and said something like: 
“So, how’s business?” or  something equally 
dumb. He huffed and walked away. When 
the engine fell out of the Corvair, I hid behind 
a tree until the people that came to tow it 
stopped laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home