Monday, April 30, 2018

Morphine

I’m taking morphine today
to see what it’s really like
to be a Democrat
to be a twenty first century
American…

to feel
asleep at the wheel

to dream I’m awake
in the face of the fake

to get from here to bed
as my only ambition.

It’s too late for the poets
by the time of revolution.

It’s too late because poetry
Is for the sensitive, 
not the mob.

Poetry is the reason 
I didn’t become 
a defiled actor
a corrupt lawyer.
Poetry saved my life.

Apollinaire died in the first world war.
Lorca was killed by Nazis.
By the time of war, ideas are mainly
propaganda, no matter 
which side you’re on. Only after
the slaughter do people start thinking
about the truth again…that’s history.
And “Heronymo’s mad again.”


Coda:

High as a kite
is just alright,
especially with music.

Cosmic carcass lazy, abandoning care,
concern, order.

“Let it fall apart…it’s been wanting to 
do that for a long time anyway.”

If everyone did morphine, maybe we
wouldn’t have so damn many people…
(oh…they already thought of that.)

Oh, I like fresh air, the flowers and bees…
yes, I love Mother Nature, if you please….
But, reality is in the mind of the beholder:
the goggles get boggled as you get older.
I play with my mind, but not with my food.
One way to distance oneself from the “self”
is what Rimbaud called “A radical 
derangement of the senses”, which we 
groked on LSD. 

I take morphine because I’m on a battlefield,
wounded by salvos of ignorance and madness.
or, just because it feels good…for a while.

You want the truth?

You can’t get there from here.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home